Why you Should Collaborate with your Builder During the Early Stages of Designing your Home
Updated: Jun 1
All too often, builders meet with clients who have been working (sometimes for nearly two years!) designing their dream family home with their chosen Architect/Draftsman. The client will give the Architect a construction budget, expecting that they will know the costs involved in building their design. But unfortunately many of them don't!
It’s unfortunate, as the client falls in love with the prospective home and mentally moves in. Then when they’re in the process of looking for a builder, they get dismayed by builders telling them that their design plan will not meet their budget.
Then, the client will question the builder’s margins and think they are trying to make too much of a profit. They rarely question the designer, and so continue to shop around for cheaper builders, until they find someone who will either work for no profit, complete a job that is substandard or will not complete the construction at all. All the while giving the original construction company a bad reputation.
We, at L. O’Grady Constructions want to change this.
We want to collaborate with an Architect/Draftsman during the early stages of planning. It makes much more sense than spending so much time and money designing a home without consulting a builder that has a better understanding of the costs involved. We give clients confidence in us, as they understand we are trying to achieve the best outcome in regard to both cost and design.
For New Builds and Renovations we offer a complimentary meeting with our registered builder and team either at our office or at the project site. We spend an hour with the client\s, going through their requirements, style preferences, layout options and, very crucially, their budget and how to stick to it. If it is for a renovation the registered builder will complete an inspection of the existing property to ascertain any possible issues. Depending on the clients vision and budget we recommend an Architect/Draftsman that would be best suited to their project. Going forward we Work as a Consultant by:
- Attending 2x Design Meeting’s with client and chosen Architect/Draftsman to discuss plans.
- Laisse with Architect/Draftsman via phone and/or email as often as required to act as a Consultant.
- Laisse with associated trades ie plumber, electrician, cabinet maker, plasterer, carpenters to receive quotes for these tradesman
- Continually have the client’s budget in mind when making planning decisions.
- Complete an estimate of Preliminary Costings once Concept plans are complete.
- Source all PC Items specified by client and receive prices accordingly. If no specific PC Items identified then Admin Staff will source these according to budget.
- Once plans are approved we complete a thorough Fixed Price Proposal packaged to the client/s. The proposal will be a 30page document which will have all finishes specified, all PC Items specified with photos attached, what is included in the quote, what is excluded in the quote and provisional sum allowances.
I want to stress that by engaging us to act as a Consultant in the early stage of planning your home it DOES not mean you need to build with us. Our reasons for offering this service is to get more plans built to budget, regardless if we build it or another builder does. We feel very passionate about this and we don't want the clients to feel 'locked in' by this process.
That’s why it’s far better to get builders involved at the very early stages. If you’re just starting to think about building your dream family home, get in touch for a consultation today!